Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fast and Simple Gluten Free Bread




This bread is also sugar free, dairy free and soy free! I used Quinoa flour to increase the amount of protein as an added bonus for vegetarians like me. The loaf in the picture above is the very first loaf of bread I have ever made. I'm not kidding when I say it was easy to do!

Dry Ingredients:

3c Tapioca Flour
2c Quinoa Flour
1 1/2c Sorghum Flour
2tbsp Xanthan gum
2tbsp Yeast
2tbsp Ancient Sea Salt

The Wet Stuff:

1/3c EV Olive Oil
2tbsp Raw Agave
3c Warm Water (might need less at lower altitudes)
4 Large Eggs (Organically raised, of course!)


Mix all of the dry ingredients together and, in a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. I have a plastic cake container (you know the one) that I used for mixing the dough. After turning the lid upside down all of the dry ingredients went into it. (You can use a large bowl and plastic wrap to cover if you don't have one of the cake containers.) Once all the dry ingredients have been mixed in the upside down cake lid, and all the liquids have been mixed in another bowl, we are ready to add the two together. Add part of the liquid mix to the dry mix, about 1/4 - 1/3 at a time, and stir it all together with a big spoon. Once all the liquid has been added stir the dough until it is smooth. Then, place the cover over your container and let it rest for at least two hours.

After the dough rests for a couple of hours you can either put it in the refrigerator for later or you can take a piece off and get started baking! Be very careful not to handle the dough too much or it will get over worked and that means goodbye air bubbles!

Baking directions will vary based on the method you use. For this loaf I delicately formed a round loaf on a piece of parchment paper that I had placed on top of a cutting board. Then, let it rest for an hour to an hour and a half. At the point when there was only about a half an hour until baking time I placed my baking stone in the convection oven and preheated it to 400 degrees. (Having the parchment paper under the dough made it easy to slide the loaf from the board to the stone.) My loaf baked for 40-50 minutes until it was a deep golden brown all over. (Baking time will vary depending on the size of your loaf and your altitude.)

This dough will make more than one loaf of bread. I am going to use some of the remaining dough to make pizza and biscuits!

The Results:

Both of the kids were excited about making bread at home and that made it exciting for me! My son likes his bread plain and when he ate this he said, "It's tasty good!". The older child, my daughter, likes peanut butter and honey sandwiches so I made her one with this bread. When asked, "How is it?", she replied, "Great!". After she was a few bites in she said, "You make the best bread ever!". I had a piece with coconut oil, cinnamon and honey which reminded me of the gluten free cinnamon rolls. I also had some plain and it tasted fine to me. I don't eat bread often so I'm just ecstatic that the kids liked it!

2 comments:

  1. Great work, honey! Can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second loaf from this batch tasted better but Joe and I both agreed that the Quinoa flour must be what gives it a stronger flavor than we want.

    ReplyDelete